Thursday, September 01, 2005

Car Crash

I did some serious damage to my mom's car a couple of weeks back. I was picking her up from the airport as she was flying in from India. Due to the tremendous floods they had there her flight was delayed coming in and was set to arrive at Newark at 2am. I took off from my house at 1:30am. I made sure I took a shower before I left so I would feel refreshed. I thought about picking up some coffee from Dunkin' Donuts on the way but didn't. I took the Verrazona Narrows bridge and after that on the way to the Goethals bridge I fell asleep at the wheel. It all happened so fast. I was in the left lane and veered off to the left onto the grass. I woke up when I was going over the grass and tried to straighten the car out. The left side of it bumped the metal divider, first the front left side, and then the back left side. I was then able to gain control of the car and bring it to a halt. Unbelievable! The whole left side of the car was dented and scratched up. The car was running fine. It was all just exterior damage. I was able to continue to the airport and pick up my mom on time.

The thing is although I regret what happened I don't feel bad that it happened in my mom's car. Her car is a company car and the insurance is paid by her employer. She did feel embarassed to tell her boss what happened and have the insurance appraiser come and take a look at the car. The repair cost has come to $4,800. If it had been my car that happened to it would have driven my insurance premium up.

The car's been in the repair shop for the past week and a half so my mom has been using my car. I've been riding my motorcycle everywhere I go.

Most of the thoughts that ran through my mind after the accident were a mixture of what if's. What if there had not been a divider there for me to run into and I veered into oncoming traffic? What if I was on a bridge and my car was thrown off sending me tumbling into the cold, dark water below in the middle of the night? All in all, when you think about what all could have happened you realize that I didn't get such a bad deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home