Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bullies

Why do people pick on other people?
There was a story that ran in the the New York Times the other day about a boy from Arkansas who is in High School and who is constantly being beat up by bullies.  I mean this kid is being physically beat down on a semi-regular basis. 
His parents have complained and are now in the process of a lawsuit they filed against some of the bullies.  This is what they have had to resort to, suing teenagers.  The school district has not been proactive in disciplining the bullies and the family is considering suing them as well.
No one has any right to touch another human being, ever.  I think it is one of the worst violations, to lay your hands on someone else without their consent.  This child is going to grow up with all sorts of issues.  Hopefully he is resilient and will be able to overcome what he has endured but I would think the average person would be affected in one way or another. 
It's such a shame that this child's teenage years, some of the most precious and memorable we have, are filled with so much hate towards him for no apparent reason. 
I can remember in elementary school, there was a time that there were certain kids that gave me a hard time, but they were just words, and there was never a hand laid upon me, ever.  Looking back I've always felt that the teasing I endured made me a stronger person, and better able to face adversity.  The world is harsh and unkind at times and we have to prove ourselves time and time again.  We gain strength from all we have to overcome but when what we have to overcome is physical abuse, then there is something deeper that is changed in us.  I can only hope that this child grows up without continuing the cycle of violence that was inflicted upon him. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home